Chilled White Corn Soup
This sweet corn soup is perfect for summer.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 leeks, white part only, sliced
- 1-2 pinches curry powder
- 4 cups fresh white corn kernels (about 8 ears)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1⁄4 tsp. coriander seeds
- 5 black peppercorns
- 6 stems cilantro tied in cheesecloth
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- Melt butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add leeks, cover, and sweat until soft (not browned), about 5 minutes. Add curry and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add corn, stock, and bouquet garni. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Remove pot from heat, add coconut milk, and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard bouquet garni. Purée all but 1 cup of the soup in a blender, then strain through a sieve into a medium bowl. Add reserved 1 cup of soup to strained purée. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled. Season to taste with salt.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry one handful of the mushrooms at a time until deep golden and crispy, about 3 minutes. Transfer mushrooms with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Season to taste with salt. Divide chilled soup between four bowls and serve garnished with fried mushrooms.