Found in most supermarkets and Mexican grocers, canned chipotles in adobo make a smoky, fiery sauce for chicken wings.
Yield: serves 2-4
- Canola oil, for frying
- 2 lb. chicken wings, separated into 2 pieces
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 canned chipotles in adobo and 1 tbsp. adobo sauce, puréed
- 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- Avocado Crema, for serving
- Heat oven to 200˚. Pour oil into a 6-qt. Dutch oven to a depth of 2" and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 400˚. Working in two batches, add chicken wings to oil and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, 10–12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer wings to a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet and transfer to oven.
- Meanwhile, put butter and chipotles into a medium heat-proof bowl. Set bowl over a pot of boiling water until butter is melted and chipotles are hot, whisking to combine. Transfer chicken wings to the bowl, add lime juice, and toss to combine. Serve with Avocado Crema.