Cipollini Onion Hummus
Gently browned cipollini onions add an unexpected hint of caramel sweetness to hummus, deepening its earthy flavors.
Yield: makes About 4 Cups
- 1⁄3 cup plus 2 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 3 small cipollini onions (about half a pound), thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- juice of 1 lemon (approx 1/4 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 4 tbsp. tahini
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 12-15 minutes. Remove onions from heat.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, tahini, salt, remaining 1⁄3 cup olive oil, and 2⁄3 of the browned onions. Process until smooth and creamy. (If the hummus seems dry, add additional tahini one teaspoon at a time, reprocessing between teaspoons.) Taste and season with additional salt, if desired. Serve topped with remaining browned onions and drizzled with additional olive oil.