This traditional cardamom-scented Indian rice pudding owes its particular richness to the inclusion of whole milk, which has been reduced by half during the cooking process to produce a thick, creamy base.
- 6 tbsp. jasmine rice
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 tsp. lightly crushed saffron
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 6 cups milk
- 3 oz. jaggary or 6 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced pistachios
- Place rice in a fine strainer, and rinse under running water until water runs clear; drain thoroughly. Heat butter in a 10″ skillet over medium heat; add rice, saffron, and cardamom, and cook, stirring until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add milk, and cook, stirring occasionally, until milk is reduced by half and rice is tender, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Add jaggary, almonds, and half the pistachios, and cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl, and garnish with remaining pistachios before serving.