Inspired by the sweet-salty pleasures of a BLT sandwich, this version of tomato soup starts with smoky bacon and gets better from there. It's comforting, savory, and goes brilliantly with grilled cheese.
To make this soup vegetarian: Omit the bacon and increase the butter by 1/2 tablespoon.
- 2 slices smoked bacon (about 1.5 oz.) cut into thin matchsticks
- 1⁄2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced (about 3 oz. or 1 cup)
- 1 small carrot, halved and thinly sliced (about 2.5 oz. or 3/4 cup)
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tsp. flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned diced tomatoes, well drained
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, lightly crushed
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
Continue to Next Story