This is an adaptation of the recipe Hamilton’s mom found; it came from the Auberge du Lion d’Or in Cologny, Switzerland.
Cold Beet Soup
This recipe is an adaptation from the Auberge du Lion d'Or in Cologny, Switzerland.
Yield: serves 4
- 4 medium boiled beets, trimmed, peeled and cooled
- 1 cucumber, trimmed, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1⁄4 small white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 3 cups sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- Dice beets and put into a medium glass or ceramic bowl. Add cucumber, onions, bread crumbs, sour cream, heavy cream, dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar, and sugar and mix well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Purée beet mixture in a blender until smooth, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Garnish soup with a drizzle of heavy cream, if you like. Serve soup well chilled.