This rich creation is one of many recipes that are based on a beloved staple of Southern potluck cooking: cream cheese.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 4 oz. (4 slices) bacon
- 8 tbsp. butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- <sup>3</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cup Major Grey's mango chutney
- 2 scallions, trimmed and sliced crosswise
- Put slices of bacon into a medium skillet and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp on both sides, 5-8 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to let drain, then crumble and set aside.
- Put butter, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese into a medium bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. Transfer cheese mixture to a serving bowl and smooth out top with back of the spoon.
- Spread chutney over cheese mixture and scatter crumbled bacon and scallions on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, 2-3 hours. Allow dip to rest at room temperature for 1 hour before serving. Serve with crackers, if you like.
MORE TO READ
Sweet Caraway Scones with Salted Butter and Figs
An unexpected trio of ingredients sings in harmony in this simple fruit pastry.
Roasted Heart of Palm with Romesco Sauce
Toasted almonds elevate the nuttiness of this delicate vegetable.