Cream Cheese Dip with Chutney
This rich creation is one of many recipes that are based on a beloved staple of Southern potluck cooking: cream cheese.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 4 oz. (4 slices) bacon
- 8 tbsp. butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup Major Grey's mango chutney
- 2 scallions, trimmed and sliced crosswise
- Put slices of bacon into a medium skillet and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally, until crisp on both sides, 5-8 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to let drain, then crumble and set aside.
- Put butter, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese into a medium bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until well combined. Transfer cheese mixture to a serving bowl and smooth out top with back of the spoon.
- Spread chutney over cheese mixture and scatter crumbled bacon and scallions on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, 2-3 hours. Allow dip to rest at room temperature for 1 hour before serving. Serve with crackers, if you like.