To anyone who thinks of pea soup as canned sludge, this soup will come as a revelation, even today.
Yield: serves 4
- 3 cups room-temperature milk
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- Leaves from 3 sprigs marjoram
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 mint leaf
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. onion salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- Combine milk, peas, marjoram, thyme, mint, onion salt, garlic salt, and sugar in a blender and purée until smooth, about 1–2 minutes. Place a fine mesh strainer over a medium saucepan and strain the pea mixture into the saucepan. Press as much liquid as possible through the sieve with a spatula, discarding the pulp.
- Place saucepan over medium-low heat and bring to serving temperature by heating to just below boiling, about 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning.