Creamed Spinach with Spiced Bread Crumbs
This luxurious stove-top creamed spinach is enriched with sour cream and topped with crunchy spiced bread crumbs. This recipe first appeared in our November 2012 issue along with Bernard L. Herman’s story A Bountiful Shore.
- 2 lb. fresh spinach
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1⁄4 tsp. paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 5 tbsp. flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Bring a 4-qt. saucepan of water to a boil; add spinach, and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Drain, and squeeze dry with a kitchen towel; set aside. Heat 3 tbsp. butter in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add bread crumbs, paprika, and salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Add remaining butter to skillet; add garlic and shallot; cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add milk; boil. Add spinach, sour cream, Parmesan, juice, nutmeg, and salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving dish; sprinkle with bread crumbs.