Crisp-Fried Wafers with Potatoes, Yogurt, and Tamarind Chutney
This street vendor snack is popular all over northern India.
Yield: serves 8
- 2 medium waxy potatoes
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. cumin seeds, toasted and crushed to a powder
- 48 papri (crisp-fried wafers)
- 1⁄2 cup imli chatni (tamarind chutney)
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 tsp. Indian red chile powder or cayenne
- 2 hot green chiles , stemmed and sliced
- 2 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- Put potatoes into a medium pot and cover with cold salted water by 2"–3". Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat to medium, and gently boil until potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife, about 20 minutes. Drain, peel, and cut into 1⁄4" cubes.
- Mix yogurt, sugar, cumin, and salt to taste together in a bowl. Put 6 papri on each 8 small plates; pile potatoes on them equally . Spoon 1⁄4 cup of the yogurt, then 1 tbsp. of the chutney, over each. Sprinkle with cilantro, chile powder, chiles, and scallions. Serve immediately.