Currant Tomato Parfait
The texture of the jellied tomato consomme should have the consistency of a very soft custard.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 cups chilled <a href="http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Chilled-Tomato-Consomme">Tomato Consommé</a>
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 cups ripe currant tomatoes, stemmed
- 4 sprigs fresh chervil
- Put 1 cup tomato consommé in a medium bowl, sprinkle with gelatin, and set aside to soften for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 cup consommé in a small saucepan over low heat until just warm, then add to consommé with gelatin and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Refrigerate until consommé is jelled to the consistency of soft custard, 2-3 hours. Stir consommé very gently with a rubber spatula once or twice to ensure even jelling.
- Meanwhile, mix mayonnaise and tarragon in a small bowl. Place a dollop of mayonnaise in the bottom of each of four chilled parfait glasses, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
- Once consommé is softly jelled, add tomatoes and stir gently, just until tomatoes are evenly suspended in the jellied consommé. Spoon consommé with tomatoes into the prepared chilled parfait glasses and garnish each with a sprig of chervil. Serve immediately.