Yield: makes About 3 Cups
- 1⁄3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 (2″) piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1⁄3 cup pomegranate molasses
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 small pomegranate, seeded (optional)
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat until hot. Add eggplant and cook, stirring often, until soft, 5–10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, add onions and cook, stirring often, until slightly softened, 2–3 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add tomato juice, pomegranate molasses, and cayenne, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir to loosen brown bits on bottom of skillet. Bring mixture just to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in mint and, if using, pomegranate seeds. Adjust seasonings.