Mexican Butter Cookies with Sprinkles (Galletas con Chochitos)
Tiny, ring-shaped butter cookies like these are a popular holiday treat in Mexico. They’re typically decorated with chocolate sprinkles, but green, red, and white ones transform them into festive Christmas wreaths.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, preferably Mexican
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Multicolored sprinkles, for decorating
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. In a mixer, beat together sugar, butter, and vanilla until fluffy. Add yolks one at a time; beat. Add dry ingredients; mix. Roll dough into a 12″-long cylinder. Cut cylinder into 3 pieces; roll each into a 12″-long cylinder. Cut each cylinder into twelve 1″-long pieces. Roll each into a ball; transfer to a lined baking sheet. Flatten each into a small disk; using your finger, poke a hole in center of each disk. Chill for 1 hour. Heat oven to 300°. Brush each ring with egg white; dip into sprinkles to coat. Return to baking sheets; bake for 15 minutes. Let cool.