This dessert is made with sweet sorghum syrup, which gives the cake a lighter texture than molasses does.
Yield: makes 1 Cake
- 2 tbsp. vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups plus 1 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 16 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup sweet sorghum syrup or unsulfured molasses
- 4 tbsp. grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Rich Caramel Icing
- Preheat oven to 350°. Using a pastry brush, grease a nonstick 10 1⁄2-cup bundt pan with shortening and dust with 1 tsp. of the flour, tapping out excess. Sift remaining flour, baking powder, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt together into a bowl and set aside.
- Put butter into a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. Add sugar and beat well. Add sorghum or molasses and grated ginger and beat well. Add one-third of the flour mixture at a time, folding in thoroughly after each addition. Dissolve baking soda in 1 cup boiling water and beat into flour mixture on medium speed, then beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing out top. Bake until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Let cake cool completely in pan on a cooling rack, then invert onto a cake plate. Serve as is or glazed with Rich Caramel Icing.