Associate kitchen director Judy Haubert developed this recipe for a classic pepperoni pizza using Thomas Keller’s gluten-free pizza crust mix.
- 1 (¼-oz. packet) active dry yeast (included with pizza crust mix)
- 5 tbsp. olive oil, plus more to taste
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 (18-oz.) package Cup 4 Cup pizza crust mix (3⅓ cups)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 (15-oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- White rice flour or fine corn meal, for dusting
- 2 cups grated mozzarella (about 10 oz.)
- 18-20 slices pepperoni (about 2 oz.)
- Combine yeast, 1 tbsp. oil, sugar, egg and 1 cup cold water in bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook; let sit until yeast begins to foam and float on surface of the water, about 10 minutes. Mix flour and 1 tsp. salt in a bowl. With the motor running, slowly add flour mixture; mix until a smooth dough forms, about 10 minutes. Transfer dough to a greased baking sheet; cover with plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Place a pizza stone under the broiler; heat for 30 minutes. Puree garlic and onions in a food processor to a smooth paste. Heat remaining olive oil in a 10″ skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic mixture; cook until fragrant and just beginning to color, 1-2 minutes. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and, using your fingers, remove and discard seeds (don’t rinse). Place tomatoes in food processor and pulse until just crushed but not pureed. Add tomato mixture to skillet, along with oregano, thyme, chile flakes, and salt. Continue to cook until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes more; let tomato sauce cool slightly.
- Divide dough into 2 balls; working in batches, dust 1 ball of dough with rice flour. Roll dough into a 9″ square about 1″ thick. Transfer to a rice flour-dusted pizza peel. Spread ⅓ cup of tomato sauce over dough, leaving a ½” border. Top with half each of cheese and pepperoni; drizzle with oil. Slide pizza onto stone; bake until cheese melts and crust is puffed and charred in spots, about 3 minutes. Cut into squares and serve hot.