Gluten-Free Oat Old-Fashioned Donuts with Rum Raisin Glaze
Gluten-free oat flour lends old-fashioned flavor to these donuts topped with a spiced rum-molasses glaze and sugared raisins.
Yield: makes 10 Donuts
- 2 cups gluten free oat flour, plus more for dusting
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp. potato starch
- 1⁄4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 3⁄4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. xanthan gum
- 1⁄4 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup plus 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, finely chopped
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tbsp. dark rum
- 1 tsp. molasses
- Whisk flour, starches, baking powder, 1 tsp. cinnamon, ¼ tsp. nutmeg, salt, xanthan, and soda in a bowl; set aside. Beat butter and ⅓ cup sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until fluffy, 1 minute. Add egg and ½ tsp. vanilla; beat until smooth. Alternate adding flour mixture with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until a soft dough forms; let rest 10 minutes.
- Heat 2" oil in a 6-qt. saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. On a lightly floured surface, pat dough into a 9" round about ½" thick. Using a floured 3" donut cutter, cut out donuts; gather and reuse scraps. Working in batches, fry, flipping once, until puffed and golden, 3-4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a baking sheet with a wire rack; let cool completely.
- Toss chopped raisins with remaining sugar; set aside. Whisk remaining cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla, plus confectioners' sugar, rum, molasses, and 2 tbsp. hot water in a bowl until smooth. Dip tops of donuts in glaze and sprinkle with raisins; return to rack until glaze is set.