Green Chile and Cilantro Sauce
Peruvians use a cautious hand when spicing their food, but compensate for their conservatism by serving a variety of fiery, chile-based salsas as condiments alongside their meals. This bright green, spicy sauce is best made shortly before it is served.
- 6 fresh Peruvian green chiles or serrano chiles
- 1 bunch cilantro (stems included)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small white onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Remove and discard stems and seeds from chiles, then place in a blender. Add cilantro, garlic, onions, oil, and 2 tbsp. very hot water. Purée until smooth, adding more hot water to thin if necessary.