This fiery sauce tastes best when freshly prepared (red zehug is usually bought ready-made). This recipe is from Ricki Callenbach Ben-David, a Yemenite cook.
- 4 dried hot red chiles (such as cayenne)
- 7 roughly chopped, stemmed, hot fresh green chiles (such as serrano)
- 3 pods green cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 bunch trimmed fresh cilantro
- 3 chopped peeled garlic cloves
- Soak red chiles in a bowl of water for 30 minutes, then drain. Remove and discard stems from chiles, then put in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add green chiles, cardamom pods, cloves, and cumin, and process until finely chopped, scraping down sides as needed. Add cilantro and garlic cloves. Process to a fine paste. Season to taste with salt. Serve with felafel if you like.