Zehug Yarok (Green Hot Sauce)
This fiery sauce tastes best when freshly prepared (red zehug is usually bought ready-made). This recipe is from Ricki Callenbach Ben-David, a Yemenite cook.
Yield: makes 3/4 Cup
- 4 dried hot red chiles (such as cayenne)
- 7 roughly chopped, stemmed, hot fresh green chiles (such as serrano)
- 3 pods green cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 bunch trimmed fresh cilantro
- 3 chopped peeled garlic cloves
- Soak red chiles in a bowl of water for 30 minutes, then drain. Remove and discard stems from chiles, then put in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add green chiles, cardamom pods, cloves, and cumin, and process until finely chopped, scraping down sides as needed. Add cilantro and garlic cloves. Process to a fine paste. Season to taste with salt. Serve with felafel if you like.
MORE TO READ
Our Best Pumpkin Recipes Celebrate the Flavor of Fall
Think outside the pie this autumn with these craveable cooking ideas from around the globe.
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, tricks, and tips for hosting a Himalayan-inspired vegetarian feast.