This Mexican holiday rice is adapted from Aida Gabilondo’s Mexican Family Cooking (Fawcett Columbine, 1986).
Green Rice (Arroz Verde)
This Mexican holiday rice is adapted from Aída Gabilondo's Mexican Family Cooking (Fawcett Columbine, 1986).
Yield: serves 4
- 1 small white onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 poblano chiles, deveined, seeded, and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Place onions, chiles, garlic, cilantro, and 1 cup stock in a blender. Blend, strain, and season with salt and pepper.
- Rinse and drain rice. Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium-low heat. Add rice and sauté, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add sauce and remaining 1 cup stock. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove pot from heat, but keep covered, allowing rice to cook for another 10 minutes.