This Mexican holiday rice is adapted from Aida Gabilondo’s Mexican Family Cooking (Fawcett Columbine, 1986).
- 1 small white onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 poblano chiles, deveined, seeded, and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 cups Chicken Stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- Place onions, chiles, garlic, cilantro, and 1 cup stock in a blender. Blend, strain, and season with salt and pepper.
- Rinse and drain rice. Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium-low heat. Add rice and sauté, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Add sauce and remaining 1 cup stock. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove pot from heat, but keep covered, allowing rice to cook for another 10 minutes.