Young, tender fava beans work best for this preparation; you can pop them right out of the grilled pods and eat them without having to peel them first.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 lb. fava beans in the pod
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 oz. Parmesan
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high. Put favas into a large bowl, drizzle with 3 tbsp. oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill favas, turning occasionally, until charred and soft, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer favas to a serving platter. Drizzle with olive oil and squeeze lemon juice over the top. Season with salt and, using a peeler, peel thin strips of Parmesan over the top of favas. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.