This version of macaroni and cheese, from the South Side restaurant Helen’s, is made richer by the addition of evaporated milk.
Helen’s Macaroni and Cheese
This version of macaroni and cheese is made richer by the addition of evaporated milk.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 17 Tbsp. butter (melting 16 tbsp.)
- 1 1⁄2 lb. dried elbow macaroni
- 7 cups lightly packed shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups canned evaporated milk
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Heat oven to 400°. Grease a rectangular 4-quart casserole dish with 1 tbsp. of the butter and set aside. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook until soft, 8–10 minutes. Drain and rinse macaroni under cold water.
- Transfer rinsed macaroni to a large bowl. Add 5 1⁄2 cups of the cheese, evaporated milk, 16 tbsp. of melted butter, sugar, and salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste. Stir the macaroni mixture well; transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish and spread out evenly with a spatula.
- Top with remaining 1 1⁄2 cups cheese; bake until hot throughout and light golden brown on top, about 20 minutes. Set aside to let rest for 10 minutes, then serve.