Horchata de Chabacano (Apricot-Rice Drink)
When apricots are in season, use them to make this velvety-rich version of horchata, shared with us by Fany Gerson. You can also substitute peaches or nectarines — when it’s not stone fruit season, the fresh-frozen variety work just as well.
- 1 lb. fresh apricots, pitted and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus more to taste
- 1⁄3 cup medium or long grained rice
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir the apricots and 1⁄2 cup sugar until the apricots are soft and a bubbling sauce has formed. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, soak the rice in 1 cup of water until the apricots have cooled completely, then strain the rice. Transfer the rice and fruit mixture to a blender and blend with 3 cups of water water and the vanilla. Strain mixture through a wet cheesecloth into a large serving pitcher, then mix in another 2 cups of water. Taste, and add more sugar if desired. Chill completely, and serve over ice.