Hummus, the chickpea puree found on every Middle Eastern menu, is a classic companion to shish kebab.
Yield: makes About 4 Cups
- 2 (15-oz.) cans chickpeas, reserving 3/4 cup of the canning liquid
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 6 tbsp. tahini (Middle Eastern sesame paste)
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- Olive oil
- Warm pita bread
- Drain chickpeas, reserving liquid. Put chickpeas into the jar of a blender or bowl of a food processor, add the reserved liquid and 1⁄4 cup water, cover, and blend to a semismooth paste.
- With motor still running, add lemon juice through hole in blender lid or feed tube of processor. Add tahini, garlic, and salt to taste and purée until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Adjust seasonings.
- Garnish hummus with some olive oil and paprika. Serve with wedges of warm pita bread.