“Unlike some of the frail field lettuces that wilt and swoon,” cookbook writer Marion Cunningham once noted, “iceberg is stalwart.” This preparation—one of Cunningham’s favorite ways of serving the oft-scorned lettuce—is simple, flavorful, and plays up iceberg’s crisp texture nicely.
- 1 wedge iceberg lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2-3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Plunge a cored head of iceberg forcefully into a large bowl of cold water. Drain, wrap in towel, and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, onions, and lemon juice and stir well. Stir in cheese, then chill 4–6 hours.
- To serve, cut lettuce into 4 large wedges, spoon dressing on top, and season with pepper.