Iceberg Wedge with Creamy Dressing
“Unlike some of the frail field lettuces that wilt and swoon,” cookbook writer Marion Cunningham once noted, “iceberg is stalwart.” This preparation—one of Cunningham’s favorite ways of serving the oft-scorned lettuce—is simple, flavorful, and plays up iceberg’s crisp texture nicely.
- 1 wedge iceberg lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2-3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Plunge a cored head of iceberg forcefully into a large bowl of cold water. Drain, wrap in towel, and refrigerate overnight.
- Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, onions, and lemon juice and stir well. Stir in cheese, then chill 4–6 hours.
- To serve, cut lettuce into 4 large wedges, spoon dressing on top, and season with pepper.