Cold marinated vegetables like these round out a good asado. The seasonings used here work well for zucchini, too.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 1 Tbsp. coarse salt
- 2 medium eggplants, peeled, trimmed, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄2 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 5 bay leaves
- 3 cups white vinegar
- Sprinkle salt on eggplant slices and stack in a colander set over a bowl. Weight eggplant with a heavy plate and set aside to drain for 1 hour. Meanwhile, mix together oil, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves in a small bowl and set aside. Remove eggplant from colander and pat dry with paper towels.
- Bring vinegar and 2 cups water to a boil in a pot over high heat. Working in batches, add eggplant and blanch for 1 minute, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Layer some of the eggplant in a glass bowl and drizzle with some oil mixture. Repeat layering, finishing with the oil mixture. Place plastic wrap onto surface of eggplant, then weight with a heavy plate and refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove bay leaves before eating.