Jalapeño Corn Bread
Skillet-cooked corn bread is a popular vaquero (Mexican cowboy) side dish.
Yield: serves 10
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup corn oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 3⁄4 cup sliced pickled jalapeños
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Heat oven to 425°. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in milk, corn oil, and eggs. Using a rubber spatula, fold in corn and jalapeños; set batter aside.
- Heat a 12" cast-iron skillet; grease with butter. Pour in batter; bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.