Instant espresso powder and chocolate-covered espresso beans gives SAVEUR staffer Krystal Stone’s iced brownies a concentrated flavor and a zingy, caffeinated boost.
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 2½ tbsp. instant espresso powder
- 1 cup chocolate-covered espresso beans (about 4½ oz.), coarsely ground in a food processor
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- ⅔ cups unsweetened, dutch-process cocoa powder
- ½ cups flour
- ½ cups canola oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. plus 1⁄8 tsp. fine salt
- ¼ tsp. baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cups milk
- Heat oven to 325°. Grease an 8″ x 8″ baking pan with butter. Line pan with parchment paper; grease paper. Bring 1⁄4 cup water to a boil in a 1-quart saucepan. Whisk in espresso; let dissolve. Whisk together espresso, beans, 1 cup sugar, 1⁄3 cup cocoa, flour, oil, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1⁄4 tsp. salt, baking powder, and eggs in a bowl. Pour batter into pan; spread evenly. Bake until set, 45–50 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- To make icing, bring butter, milk, and remaining sugar, cocoa, vanilla, and salt to a boil in a 1-quart saucepan, while whisking. Pour icing over brownies; let harden. Cut and serve.