This pickled cabbage is great on Soupy Beans, and its spicy kick will make pork sing. Try it as a side with a ham sandwich.
- 1⁄3 cup plus 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 12 banana peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 6 cups shredded cabbage
- In a medium bowl, stir ⅓ cup of the salt into 1⅓ cups very hot water until dissolved. Cool. Add peppers. Top with a plate to keep them submerged. Let sit 10 hours or overnight.
- In a large bowl, combine ½ cup of the sugar, 3 tbsp. of the vinegar, 3 tbsp. water, and ½ tsp. of the salt. Drain peppers and discard brine. Slice peppers into 1⁄8″ shreds and add to vinegar mixture. Marinate for 30 minutes. Drain.
- In a medium saucepan, combine remaining 1 cup sugar, ⅓ cup vinegar, 1 tsp. salt, and 1¼ cups water. Boil, stirring constantly, until syrup forms, about 3 minutes. Add cabbage and peppers; cook 2 minutes. Cool. Can be refrigerated in a covered container for up to 1 week.