Kacang Panjang Kecap (Long Beans with Sweet Soy Sauce)
A spicy and sweet stir fry of long beans and tomatoes.
Yield: serves 4
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3 tbsp. peanut oil
- 1 lb. long beans, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 3-5 thai chiles, stemmed and halved lengthwise
- 3 tbsp. kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 1 plum tomato, cored and cut into 10 wedges
- 1 tbsp. Fried Shallots
- Put garlic, shallots, and 2 tbsp. water into a food processor and process, scraping down sides of bowl often, to form a fairly smooth paste, about 2 minutes. Transfer paste to a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok over medium-low heat. Add ground paste and cook, stirring, until oil begins to separate and paste no longer smells raw, about 8–10 minutes. Add long beans and chiles; stir to combine. Add soy sauce and ¼ cup water; stir to coat. Increase heat to medium-high and stir-fry until beans are barely fork tender, 6–8 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt to taste and transfer to a large bowl.
- Let beans rest for at least 10 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to intensify. Garnish with fried shallots and serve with Festive Yellow Rice, if you like.