Mango and Queso Blanco Salsa
Ordinary salsa gets an extraordinary twist with the addition of fresh mango and mild Mexican cheese.
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground toasted dried piquin chiles or cayenne
- 1⁄4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1⁄4 tsp. cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 4 large ripe or semi-ripe mangoes, or combination of ripe, semi-ripe, and green (unripe) mangoes, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1⁄2" cubes
- 1 small red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 oz. queso blanco, cut into 1⁄2" cubes
- 24 mint leaves, thinly sliced
- Whisk citrus juices, oil, honey, garlic, salt, ground chiles, oregano, and cumin together in a large, nonreactive bowl. Add mangoes, bell peppers, onions, and cheese, and toss well. Adjust seasonings.
- Add mint to salsa just before serving and toss well again. Serve salsa right away, or cover salsa and let rest at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 3 hours.