Maple syrup intensifies the sweetness of tomatoes in this recipe for Tomate Confite au Sirop d’Érable. Serve these with toothpicks as an appetizer or on salads, pizza, and pastas. This recipe first appeared in The Sweet Life, a story about Quebec’s second-largest maple syrup-producing region, Bas-St-Laurent.
- 16 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme, stemmed
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 250°. Arrange tomato halves cut side up on an aluminum foil—lined baking sheet. Whisk together syrup, oil, thyme, garlic, and salt and pepper in a bowl and then drizzle over tomatoes. Bake until tomatoes are half-dried and concentrated, 3–4 hours.