Chiles Curtidos (Pickled Peppers)
These vinegary pickled chiles are an essential condiment for all kinds of street foods in Mexico.
Yield: makes About 1 Quart
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 red or green jalapeños, pricked with a paring knife
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. dried oregao
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Heat oil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic, and cook, stirring, until barely tender, about 3 minutes. Add jalapeños, and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add vinegar, salt, oregano, bay leaf, and 2 cups water, and bring to a boil; remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Transfer to a storage container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.