Salsa Verde (Green Tomatillo Salsa)
Bright and fruity, this salsa is the perfect counterpoint to the richness of cheesy dishes and grilled meats. This recipe first appeared in our August/September 2012 issue with Hugo Ortega’s article Special Sauce.
- 4 oz. tomatillos, husked and rinsed (available at melissas.com)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 medium white onions, quartered
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 bunch cilantro, stemmed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place tomatillos, garlic, onions, and jalapeños in a 4-qt. saucepan; cover with water by 1″. Bring to a boil; cook until slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Drain and reserve 1 cup cooking liquid.
- Transfer to a blender along with reserved liquid, sugar, cilantro, and salt and pepper; pulse until chunky. Transfer to a bowl, and serve at room temperature.