Minced Chicken in Lettuce Cups
This dish is based on a famous Cantonese recipe for squab.
Yield: makes 6
- 5 Chinese dried black mushrooms
- 1⁄2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp. peanut oil
- 1 tsp. minced peeled ginger
- 1 tbsp. shaoxing (Chinese rice wine)
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 oz. Virginia ham, minced
- 1 tbsp. oyster sauce
- 2 scallions, white part only, trimmed and minced
- 1⁄2 cup drained whole canned water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 6 iceberg or bibb lettuce leaves
- Soak mushrooms in a medium bowl of hot water, covered, until soft, about 1 hour. Meanwhile, finely chop chicken breast and thighs with a sharp cleaver or knife and set aside. Remove mushrooms from soaking water and trim off stems. (Discard water and stems; see Snipping Shrooms.) Finely chop caps and set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or nonstick skillet over high heat. Add ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Add chopped chicken and stir-fry, breaking meat up with a metal spatula, until no longer raw, about 1 minute. Add shaoxing, season to taste with white pepper, then add ham, mushrooms, and oyster sauce and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add scallions and chestnuts. Spoon chicken mixture into lettuce leaves.