Munchable Peanut Salad
Served as a snack in Madras, India, this unique salad is both spicy and acidic. We adapted this recipe by adding cilantro and suggest adjusting the cayenne to suit your taste.
- 1 1⁄2 cups raw peanuts, shelled and skinned
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3-4 small shallots, peeled and slivered
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne
- 4 tbsp. lime juice
- 3 tbsp. fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Place peanuts in a small saucepan with water to cover. Add salt and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat, and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain, then place peanuts in a bowl.
- Add shallots, tomatoes, cayenne, lime juice, and cilantro. Stir to mix well. Add salt to taste, for a balanced flavor of saltiness and sourness.