This boozy re-creation of a classic eggnog was developed for us by Emily Pote of the cocktail consultant team All in Good Spirits. Perfect for holiday gatherings, it requires a bit more preparation than the store-bought variety, but is certainly worth the extra effort.
For the Demerara Syrup
- 1 cup demerara sugar
- 1 cup water
For the Eggnog
- 10 egg whites
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup Creole Shrub orange liqueur
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups spiced rum, such as Sailor Jerry’s
- Whole nutmeg, for garnish
- Orange zest, for garnish
- Make the demerara syrup: Combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved, and remove from heat. Let cool before using.
- With a whisk or electric mixer, beat egg whites in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Add egg yolks, cream, orange liqueur, and 5 oz. demerara syrup and beat until smooth. Stir in rum and two cups of ice and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg and orange zest.