Author and SAVEUR contributing writer Peggy Knickerbocker gave us the recipe for these simple hors d’oeuvres—among her fondest childhood memories of the elaborate holiday dinners her mother hosted.
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices white bread
- Preheat oven to 350°. Mix onion, mayonnaise, parmesan, and parsley in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove crusts from the bread. Using a 1″ round cookie cutter, cut bread into 32 rounds. Place on a cookie sheet and bake, without turning, until golden, 10–15 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Spread about 1 tsp. onion mixture onto each round, then sprinkle with more parmigiano-reggiano and brown under broiler for 1–2 minutes. Serve immediately.