Orange and Honey-Glazed Carrots
Honey makes for a more flavorful glaze for carrots than sugar does. In this dish, SAVEUR test kitchen director Kellie Evans uses orange zest to keep the sweetness from becoming cloying. This recipes appeared in our November 2011 issue, with the story Superb Sides.
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 1½-inch chunks
- 1 cup honey
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- Kosher salt and fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh tarragon
- Melt butter in a 12″-wide, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrots, honey, and orange zest and juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened and carrots are soft, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with tarragon before serving.