Oven-Dried Spicy Pineapple Snacks
This Southeast Asian combination of sweet, salty, spicy, and tart flavors makes a great cocktail snack. You may also leave the pineapple overnight in a gas oven, turned off; the heat from the pilot light will dry the fruit.
- 2 ripe pineapples, peeled, cored, and cut into 3⁄4″–1″ chunks
- 1⁄4 cup demerara sugar
- 2 tsp. sea salt, preferably Maldon
- 1 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 thai chiles, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- Zest from 2 limes
- Preheat oven to 225°. Divide pineapple chunks between 2 large baking sheets and spread out in a single layer. Bake, rotating pans and flipping pineapple chunks halfway through, until chunks are light golden brown and dried around the edges but still juicy in the center, about 4 1⁄2 hours. Transfer pans to a cooling rack; let pineapple cool to room temperature.
- Put sugar, salt, nutmeg, chiles, and zest into a medium bowl and stir to combine. Add pineapple and toss to coat. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve immediately.