Summer tomatoes are best, but this dish is good even with out-of-season fruit.
Find this recipe in our cookbook, SAVEUR: Italian Comfort Food
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) can whole peeled plum tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely minced
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 red cherry tomatoes
- 12 yellow cherry tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat. Ease large tomatoes into boiling water, blanch for 15-30 seconds, then remove with a slotted spoon. Nick the skin of each tomato with the tip of a knife, then peel and core.
- Arrange large tomatoes and half the canned tomatoes (reserve the rest for another use), along with 1⁄2 cup of the can’s juice, in a large baking dish. Sprinkle garlic over and around tomatoes. Drizzle with oil, lay thyme on top, and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake tomatoes for 30 minutes, basting several times. Add cherry tomatoes and continue baking, basting once, until all tomatoes are heated through and cherry tomatoes just burst, another 10-15 minutes. Taste broth and adjust seasonings.
- Divide tomatoes and broth between four bowls. Garnish with torn basil leaves.