(Fried Potato Pancakes)
Don’t overcrowd the pan while frying these latkes, warns Roger Mummert, who gave this recipe to us and makes copious batches of them each year.
Yield: makes About 16
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. matzo meal
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups safflower or canola oil
- Grate potatoes on the large holes of a box grater. Working with small handfuls at a time, squeeze out moisture from potatoes and transfer potatoes to a large bowl. Add eggs, onions, matzo meal, and salt and pepper to taste and stir until well combined.
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Working in small batches, shape potato mixture into loose 3″ disks, using a scant 1⁄4 cup for each disk, and fry in hot oil, turning once, until golden brown and crisp on the outside, 2–3 minutes per side. Transfer potato pancakes with a slotted spatula to paper towels to drain.
- Season potato pancakes to taste with salt while still hot or serve with sour cream and/or apple sauce, if you like.