This deep dish pizza pie is filled with five kinds of cheese, an abundance of eggs, and a miniature deli of cold cuts.
Yield: makes Two 7" x 11" Pies
For the Filling
- 1 1⁄2 lb. (3 cups) ricotta
- 3⁄4 lb. prosciutto, cut into 1⁄4" cubes
- 1 basket cheese (about 14 oz.), cut into 1⁄4" cubes
- 1⁄2 lb. boiled ham, cut into 1⁄4" cubes
- 1⁄2 lb. mozzarella, coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 lb. Abruzzese sweet sausage, cut into 1⁄4" cubes
- 1⁄4 lb. soppressata, cut into 1⁄4" cubes
- 1⁄4 lb. pecorino romano, coarsely grated
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄8 lb. provolone, coarsely grated (2⁄3 cup)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 eggs
For the Crust
- 6 cups flour
- Pinch of salt
- 3⁄4 lb. cold butter, cut into large pieces
- 9 eggs
- For the filling: Preheat oven to 400°. Combine ricotta, prosciutto, basket cheese, ham, mozzarella, sausage, soppressata, romano, parsley, provolone, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add eggs, a few at a time, stirring after each addition until combined. Set aside.
- For the crust: Briefly pulse flour and salt in a food processor to combine. While pulsing, add butter; process until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 1 minute. Pulse in 8 of the eggs, a few at a time, until a soft dough forms, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly to form a ball. Divide dough evenly into 4 balls and cover with plastic wrap. Working with 1 ball at a time, roll each into a 10" × 14" rectangle.
- Line the bottoms of two 7" × 11" baking dishes with 2 of the rectangles. Divide filling evenly between crusts, then top each with the remaining dough sheets. Crimp edges of crusts together. Poke large holes in top crusts with a fork. Bake pies, with a sheet tray set on the rack below, for 15 minutes. Lower oven to 375° and bake for 30 minutes more. Lower oven to 350° and bake for 30 minutes more. Lightly beat remaining egg and brush onto crusts. Bake until pies are golden and shiny, about 20 minutes more. Let pies cool completely on a rack, cover, and refrigerate. Serve cold.