Provençal-Style Salmon with Shaved Fennel
This is a specialty of Le Train Bleu in Paris.
Yield: serves 4
- 1⁄2 small bulb fennal, trimmed
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- 9 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄4 basil leaves, minced
- 1⁄2 bunch chives, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. butter, softened
- 8 oz. salmon, sliced on an angle into 4 wide, thin pieces about 1/4″ thick
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, slice fennel very thin, put into medium bowl, cover with ice water, and set aside for two hours.
- Whisk together egg yolks and mustard in a small bowl until thick. Gradually add 8 tbsp. of the oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly, until oil has been incorporated and mixture is emulsified. Add basil and chives; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside.
- Drain fennel well and return to clean, dry bowl. Add lemon juice and the remaining 1 tbsp. oil, season to taste with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Preheat broiler. Grease center of 4 ovenproof plates with the butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Lay one piece of salmon on each plate and cover each with 2 tbsp. of mayonnaise. Broil until mayonnaise just begins to brown, 2-3 minutes. Garnish each with some of the fennel.