If you any find yourself with a glut of red onions, this tart, spicy chutney is delicious with meat or fish.
- 3 thinly sliced, peeled, medium red onions
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. yellow mustard seeds
- 1 thinly sliced, seeded and stemmed, small, hot green chile
- 1 tbsp. minced rosemary leaves
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. white wine
- 2 tbsp. water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put onions, sugar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, green chile, rosemary, vinegar, white wine, and water in a large pan. Simmer over medium heat, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, about 1 hour.
- Uncover, and cook until thick, about 15 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a little honey to the relish if it is too tart.