Refried Beans with Chorizo
This simple refried beans recipe requires little more than pinto beans and chorizo.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 3 cups dried pinto beans, rinsed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 6 oz. fresh chorizo, casings removed
- 1 cup lard
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. minced cilantro
- Put beans and 12 cups water into an 8-qt. pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, season with salt; cook, adding more water if necessary, until beans are very tender, 2–2 1⁄2 hours. Drain beans, reserving 3 cups cooking liquid.
- Heat a 6-qt. pot over medium-high heat. Add chorizo and cook, breaking up into small pieces, until crisp, 6–8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove half the chorizo; transfer to a plate and set aside. Add lard and let melt. Add beans; mash vigorously. Add 2 cups reserved cooking liquid; cook, stirring often, until hot, 3–5 minutes. (Stir in more liquid, if you like.) Season beans with salt and pepper and serve with reserved chorizo and cilantro.