Rhubarb and Berry Compote
The sweetness of berries plays off tart rhubarb in this lightly-spiced compote, which is great over greek yogurt.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 2 lb. rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- 1 lb. strawberries, hulled and halved (quartered, if large)
- 6 oz. fresh blueberries
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped and reserved
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Greek yogurt, for serving
- Heat all ingredients, except yogurt, in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until berries have released their juices, and rhubarb is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into a fine strainer set over a bowl, and transfer fruit and spices to a bowl; return juices to saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until liquid is thickened and reduced by 2⁄3, about 30 minutes.
- Pour sauce over fruit and stir to combine; let cool to room temperature. Discard whole spices, and serve over yogurt.