The Italian name for this soup, stracciatella, is derived from the fact that the eggs take on the appearance of straccetti , or little rags.
Yield: serves 8
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- Fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Bring stock to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer.
- Beat eggs in a mixing bowl and add parmigiano-reggiano (and, if desired, parsley).
- Slowly pour egg mixture into stock, stirring with a whisk. The faster you stir, the finer the pieces of egg. Season to taste with lemon juice and salt and pepper.