Fenugreek greens, a Sindhi favorite, are the centerpiece of this hearty stew.
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 serrano chile, stemmed
- 1 2" piece ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 10 oz. fresh or frozen fenugreek greens, defrosted, and finely chopped
- 9 oz. spinach, finely chopped
- ¼ cups chana dal
- ¼ cups canola oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 dried chiles de arbol
- 1 large white onion, minced
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, grated
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 4 oz. green beans, cut into ½" pieces
- 1 medium Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
- Kosher salt, to taste
- ⅓ cups finely chopped cilantro
Puree garlic, serrano, ginger, and 3 tbsp. water until smooth; set aside. Boil fenugreek greens, spinach, dal, and 2½ cups water in a 4-qt. saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and cover; cook until very tender, about 1 hour. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
Wipe out pan, add oil and return to medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and dried chiles; cook until seeds pop. Add garlic puree; cook 2-3 minutes. Add onions and carrots; cook until golden, 8-10 minutes. Add tomatoes; cook until caramelized, 4-6 minutes. Add reserved greens, plus coriander, turmeric, green beans, potatoes, salt, and 1 cup water; boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover; cook until potatoes are tender, 35-40 minutes. Uncover and lightly mash. Stir in cilantro.