This recipe comes from the Bear Cafe in Bearsville, New York. They occasionally substitute roasted hazelnuts for the pecans in this autumn side dish.
- 1⁄4 cup shelled pecans
- 1 1⁄2 lb. brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spread pecans out on a small baking sheet and toast in oven until fragrant and deep brown, about 8 minutes. Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 2 generous pinches salt, then add brussels sprouts and boil until just soft when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, 3-5 minutes. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cut brussels sprouts in half lengthwise and set aside.
- Heat butter and oil together in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and brussels sprouts and saute, stirring often, until brussels sprouts are golden brown in spots, about 5 minutes. Stir in pecans. Season to taste with salt and pepper.