This recipe for grilled or broiled oysters in a briny bath of butter, garlic, herbs, and Parmesan hails from Mobile, Alabama.
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tbsp. finely grated Parmesan
- 2 tbsp. minced fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- Zest of 1 lemon and juice of ½ lemon
- Tabasco, Worcestershire, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 24 medium oysters, such as bluepoint or Apalachicola, shucked and left in bottom shell
- Crusty bread, for serving
Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium high. (Alternatively, arrange an oven rack 6″ from the heating element and heat oven to broil.) Combine butter, Parmesan, parsley, chile flakes, garlic, shallots, and lemon zest and juice in a medium bowl. Season with Tabasco, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Spoon about 1 tbsp. butter mixture over each oyster and grill or broil until the edges of the oysters begin to curl, about 5 minutes. Serve with bread.